Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Review: Down the Road

From Goodreads.com:
A bizarre plague of the walking dead.
A nation desperate for survival.
It could be the end of the world.

Around the globe, the dead are rising to devour the living. Hospitals are overrun, and martial law has been declared. The streets are in chaos. Society is disintegrating.

George Zaragosa is a young school teacher living in the shadow of his fiancĂ©e’s unsolved murder. Now he just wants to go home to his family. He has made the journey before, traveling from Austin to San Uvalde. It is usually a short drive. But he knows this time is going to be different.

Along the way, George must negotiate military roadblocks, FEMA camps, and street thugs, not to mention hordes of the living dead. He is determined to make it home, but only one thing is certain: his trip down the road will be a journey like no other.

My Review:
I love Zombies! If you've read my blog before I think that's pretty apparent. So it pains me to say that this book completely underwhelmed me. Yup! I said it. This zombie book was blah. I really had high hopes for it. It started out very good! George was definitely someone I was rooting for.
I thought he was very believable at first, but quickly that changed. I know that zombie books aren't know for their "Hey logic is happening here!" moments but they have to at least have one rational person in them!

George is a school teacher, but all of a sudden he's got mad zombie butt kicking skills, can beat up people, have random booty calls whilst being surrounded by a horde of the living dead. Yeah..believable left the scene a few hours ago I guess.

I couldn't connect with George after that. I felt no emotional motivation to keep reading about his struggles to make it home to his family. I wasn't interested. It seemed like this book lacked something. I can SEE where Ibarra was going with it, and I am a bit sad that it didn't work out. The ending didn't even have the emotional impact that I think he was going for. This really pains me because I usually love even the cheesiest Zombie movies and books.

I wished I could say that I recommend it, but I can't. *sigh* Sorry Bowie Ibarra..at least you still have your kick ass name! Right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!