Friday, June 24, 2011

Review: Blood Red Road

About the Book:

Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back.

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.

My Review:

I first thought I wouldn't be able to get into this book. The way it's written is based on how she talks. When I opened it up and saw sentences like .." We ain't had a drop of rain fer near six months now," (taken from page 7 of my ARC) I was hoping it was a one time deal. Nope, this is how the book is written. Saba is illiterate and seemingly uneducated, so the way this book is written makes sense. Once you get into the story, which shouldn't take too long, you forget the irksome writing.

I felt as if Saba was in front of me telling me her story. This is an awesome story. There are all kinds of neat little elements that definitely make you wanna keep reading. I devoured this in two days. It's got a bit of everything in it that makes me a happy person. There's the dystopian elements, the struggle for survival, and a little bit of a love story all meshed into one! It works too!

It's a great book and a very promising start to a series! Definitely check it out :)

4 comments:

  1. I just got this and your review makes me want to jump right it! It's a big book for two days, so it must be great! Thanks for a great review!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you gave this a good review. I bought it several weeks ago but couldn't get hooked enough to read it. There are certain types of book that I just can't read while I'm writing myself, and I think this is one, so I just set it aside. I'll definitely go back now :)

    As for how Saba talks, were you able to relate her colloquialisms and manner of speaking with any particular area of our country as we know it? What I think bothered me most was that it seems to not have a lot of roots in actuality, if that makes sense. I grew up in Appalachia and we have all kinds of different ways of saying things (everwhich one of you done this, or I got them taters picked everway I could, I's feeling so poorly etc.) But with Blood Red Road, the way of writing seemed like something not taken from any region we know and that made it hard for me to latch onto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artemis Grey, to answer your question..for some reason I read it in a country accent, but that could be because it's how I hear people talk around me. I'm in Alabama so I could relate to how Saba spoke.
    So I'm not sure exactly if this was how Ms. Young intended it, but that was how my brain translated it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my fave books this year, I'm glad you liked it too :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!