Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Review: The Yoga Club



Blurb: 
Chatting it up with bendy WASPs is the last thing on Coco Guthrie’s mind during her 8:30 a.m. yoga class. Having made her fortune as the world-renowned inventor of Butt-B-Gone derriere cream, Coco still doesn’t feel like she belongs among the upper class— until she attends the swankiest Halloween soiree in Greenwich, Connecticut, where three of her fellow morning yogis shared her brilliant idea to appear as Sarah Palin. Soon it’s clear that a love of stretching isn’t all this accidental sorority—which includes a single mom with echolalia, an entertainment reporter who charms the pants off handsome stars, and a drama-prone producer with a taste for drag— have in common.
When the four mischievous Sarahs wander away from the party to sneak a peek at the mayor’s neighboring estate, they are stunned to find him adorned in leather and latex, and rolling up a woman’s body in a Persian rug. To make matters worse, someone has spotted the spying Palins. Someone who threatens to expose their torrid affairs in business and the bedroom. Now the unlikely foursome must use all their wits and wiles to get to the bottom of the kinky crime. But will their budding friendship be strong enough to protect their deepest secrets?

Book Details:
  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Gallery Books; Original edition (December 20, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1439187274
My Review: 

This was a cute read! It went pretty quickly and definitely was entertaining! The book centers around a bunch of haphazard friends, thrown together by chance and mystery! I loved the way this was written and was just a bunch of fun to read!

I can only really think of two issues I had with this book. I'll address them separately.

CJ..I loved the character but it seemed like his "gayness" always took center stage. Don't get me wrong he is a great character, but after a while it was like ..yes you're gay. We get it. It just seemed like she wrote him extra special flaming to prove he was really gay. (I hope that makes sense?) I have nothing wrong with gay characters or homosexuality in general, but it just kind of seemed overdone a few times. HOWEVER, and this may seem contradictory, I LOVED CJ. He was my favorite character next to Coco.

The other gripe I have, and it's a very tiny one really. The name dropping. Bailey sleeps with a LOT of celebrities and they range from Keifer Sutherland to John Meyer...after about the fifth name drop it kind of made me roll my eyes.  Maybe I felt that way because I am neither a fan of John Mayer OR some of the other celebrities in the book? I dunno.

These two were very tiny gripes though. The rest of the story is awesome! I think if you are in the mood for a quick fun read and you like a little bit of mystery/drama involved, then this is what you are after!

 I give it a 4 out of five.

Thank you Gallery Books for providing me a copy of this book for review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!