Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: A Monster Calls


At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth.


My Thoughts:

This book slayed me. The cover is a bit of no fair..it looks creepy and stuff. The blurb doesn't really give you much of a clue about what you are getting into. Is it a revenge book? Is it something scary? What kind of monster is this? All sorts of mental screwery is involved!

This book is the saddest thing evar! Seriously y'all I was bawling my brains out by the time I was done. Conor loves his Mother, but she is dying of cancer. Right there my brave face vanished. :( Poor Conor has so much going on, and then his grandma and his dad come back into the picture to muck up his flow. He has to deal with them trying to drop reality bombs on him, telling him he needs to prepare for the worst.

The Monster comes in the form of a Yew Tree. A giant yew tree that comes every night to tell him a story, but at the end requires him to tell THE STORY. Is the Monster a friend or a foe? Does he want to help Conor deal with his Mom's illness, or does the Monster have other plans? So many questions! I love questions!

Heart-wrenching, gut twisting, and kick in the throat emotional torment happens for Conor. He has to face what no kid should ever have to face. I swear to you, if you do not cry while reading this book you have no soul whatsoever! I loved every page of this book.

Oh yeah, and there are pages and pages of beautifully dark art work!

**my copy was obtained from my public library

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!